Friday, August 16, 2013

It's hard to believe we are at it again.  Trial number 2...and hopefully our last.  We are hoping and praying for success this time around since financially we are unable to pursue our journey past this round.  This IVF is a bit different this time around.  Our doctor recommended trying something called co-culture.  It's where they take my uterine cells, grow them and later allow the embryos to grow on top of them.  Last Monday I donated 10 vials of blood to this cause and this past Wednesday I had a uterine biopsy to collect cells.  I'd imagine they are growing in the lab right now.  The biospy was quite unpleasant and downright painful to say the least.  But I've had practice since I had a few others before.  At least it was quick.  In case you're wondering, to collect the cells they insert a long catheter through the cervix and into the uterus.  Even though I've had biopsies before, this was the first time I could stomach looking at the instrument used to collect the sample.  

Tomorrow I go for initial bloodwork and internal ultrasounds to get a baseline of my hormone levels and egg development.  Sunday is the big day I start injections (between 2 to 4 a day for about 10 to 14 days).  Last time I didn't have too many awful reactions to the hormones except a few hotflashes, bruises,  and abdominal pain and swelling.  I am hoping for the same or better this time around and am praying my body will respond to the medication to produce lots of good quality eggs.  Initially, I'll follow up with the clinic every other day, but closer to the end I'll be headed there daily.  It's ALOT of appointments and not always easy to juggle my work schedule.  I would suspect in about 10 to 14 days I'll be headed for surgery to retrieve the eggs.  

In addition, this time around I am trying acupuncture.  I've had three consults at great clinics and ALL doctors recommended I try it.  Acupuncture helps to stimulate blood flow to the ovaries to provide them with nutrients needed to grow healthy eggs.  I've been going weekly for the past 5 weeks but will start going twice next week and the week after.  Unfortunately this is running us a few extra hundred dollars but it's a chance I need to take.  If we fail, I want to be able to have the piece of mind that I did everything within my control to improve our chances.  

I wish I could say I was optimistic.  I've had too many letdowns and heartbreaks to be.  I am hopeful though, but am realistic.  I knew last time I'd be upset if we failed, but I didn't realize HOW upset.  It's worse than anything I could have ever imagined.  This time more is at stake since it's very likely it's our last.  If this fails, we will never be parents and that's a BIG deal for us. I'm hoping with every ounce of my being that it'll finally be OUR turn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment